Saturday, July 30, 2011

Away We Go

We are off to Hungary on monday! Arnie's family is from Hungary, in fact only his parents live in Canada, the rest of the extended family all live in Hungary. Arnie's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, all live in a small village in the middle of Hungary. Seeing as we have been married over five years already, we realized that it was finally time to go and visit the rest of his family. We had been putting this trip off because we thought that the adoption would have gone through a lot sooner. I had originally wanted to go either on the way to Ethiopia or on the way back. I thought I could save some money flying to Europe then straight over to Africa and do two trips in one...but the time is here and we are doing the trip without Ethiopia. I am a little sad about that, but maybe this will be better in the end.

Arnie's family all go to a Nazarene church, which has a very strict doctrine. To give you an idea: the women sit on one side and the men on the other, also the women still have to wear head coverings! I am not too fond of this idea as I do not believe in this theology, but never the less... I will have agreed to don the lacy head covering! ( No, I will not take pictures!!) Because of this "serious" theology, his family is very strict and has a lot of "funny" ideas, like if you are infertile, you must be sinning. Arnie has been preparing me for this, but I am just praying that no one actually says it to my face...I think  I would not react well to that! He said that they mean well, but have been taught some things that don't really stash up. I was a little hurt to know that I am being judged before they have even met me, but I also have had time to forgive them and prepare for this before I get there. I am just praying that they can see through the lies and see who I really am.

Despite these things, I am looking forward to finally going to Hungary. My husband spent many childhood summers in this small village and he loves it. I feel like I will get to discover a little more about him and a little more about my family. I look forward to the simple country life, harvesting concord grapes, swimming in the river, riding bikes to get ice cream and playing with all the children!

So, this means if for some miraculous reason, we get the call, our sister will be answering the phone for us. The plan is that the agency will call her first, then she will get a hold of us in Hungary. I'm going to try and not think about the adoption while I am in Hungary because I want to be fully present and enjoy every minute of this trip. I am planning to take a little vacation from the adoption while I am away. I think it will be good to try and forget about it all...even for a little while.

Oh and I don't have to work for a month!!! YEY!!

I will try to post a few pics from Hungary, but I am not sure how the internet and all that will work yet...so we will see!!!

Have a good month and if I can't post, I'll be back in September!

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time, Bekah! I sure hope the family receives you well and treats you kindly! Take lots of pictures!!!!!!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip! I will be thinking about you as you are gone and waiting for the call... enjoy every moment with your extended family.

    ReplyDelete